Monday, August 18, 2014

Who Monday

I'm happy to be linking up with Blog Hoppin' for their Back to School 2014 - Teacher Week.


I just feel like I blogged about myself a few weeks ago, but here we go again.

Today is the first day of the 11th year of teaching. I had no clue how many things could happen in the 11 years. There have been amazing highs and deep lows, but through it all I have come to love what I do even more than I ever realized. I started teaching a middle school remedial reading class. Since then I have slowly moved my way down down down. In addition I have taught kindergarten, second, third, and fourth grades.

While I grew up in Northern Illinois, I now live in a town 30 minutes from Tampa, FL and 30 minutes from Orlando, FL. It's pretty nice that there's always something to do, but man the summers are brutal. This also means that anything cooler than 70 degrees is now cold. A few years ago we took our Florida dog up north for Christmas. We had to shovel the snow so he could see the frozen ground and know where to go to the bathroom. He doesn't like cold weather either.

My husband and I have been together for eleven years and married for eight and a half years. He is my number one cheerleader and support. There's no way my classroom would have been ready this year if it were not for him. He even is taking another vacation day today to help in my room on the first day of kindergarten! He is incredible and really does anything he can to help support my friends and myself. He also might realize that it's better for him in the long run if he just goes along with my whackadoodle ideas. I'm super lucky!!

I learned to play the piano before I knew how to read. My mom was actually signing my sister up for lessons and the piano teacher persuaded her to enroll me at the same time.

I love strawberries!!! One benefit to where we live is the large commercial strawberry fields in the area. I am supplied in berries from right before Christmas through mid-April. If I can't have strawberries, I'll settle for blueberries, nectarines, or watermelon. I love fruit!

While I love me dog and cat, I'm not really an animal person. I don't like frogs, snakes, lizards, or many other animals unless we are at the zoo. I am known to walk from the entrance to the exit in the reptile house, the aviaries, and anything to do with bugs and bats. Yuck!

I love math! I am a visual learner who loves order and patterns. To me, math is all about order and patterns. When I was ready to get my masters I actually completed an online program through Walden University so I could specialize in K-5 Mathematics.


I really don't know much about Super Heroes. That's correct! My classroom theme is Super Heroes, but I don't care for the wonderful Heroes all that much. My husband is a fanatic, along with most of our good friends. So on opening weekends after church, we go see the releases when they come out. I could live without seeing the movies, but because I love our friends, I go.

Make sure to head on over to Blog Hoppin and see what is happening over there this week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Leslie...

    You've taught a lot of grades. Do you have a favorite?
    I love fruit too, especially strawberries. I'd be in heaven to have fresh strawberries from Christmas to April!

    Sarah from Mrs. Jones Teaches :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! I have taught a variety of grade levels. I only taught middle school, fourth and third for one year. Most of my time has been spent between second grade and kindergarten. I taught second grade for five years, and then I was ready for a change and transferred to a different school in my district. I didn't really want to leave second grade, but I also didn't want to enter a new school or grade level and continue to be the person who held on to how I had previously done things. Through the years I had several opportunities to move into a kindergarten position, but for a variety of reasons I was never quite ready. When I knew I was transferring schools, it was perfect time. While I loved my years in second grade and a part of me will always love my second graders, I love teaching kindergarten. It is where I am meant to be.

      Delete